I was supposed to have a lesson today, but instead we had surprise rain and one of Denise's horses decided to colic. She called us up to apologize, but I told her not to be silly, we understand and she has more important things to worry about. We rescheduled for two Saturdays from now.
I did mention my worries about Peanut's leg on the phone (didn't get into his sudden roach), and she suggested that I do get a vet out. I told her that I had lousy luck with vets trying to diagnose lameness in my gaited guy, and she gave me the name of her vet accompanied by a glowing recommendation. I'll call Mon or Tues (if they aren't open Monday) and see if I can get an appointment.
I said to her that I didn't know if I was being paranoid or if it is a case of only the owner can see the little signs that can be overlooked by everyone else. She just told me that I need to have a vet out. OK.
This is going to sound odd, but as I've thought about that leg I've realized that when he parks out to pee, he always goes tiptoe on that one foot. I thought he was just being his usual odd self, but maybe he just isn't comfortable on it? It is the one that tracks under the middle of his body, too.
Well, anyway, we ditched our plans with the horses because we didn't feel like hanging around and getting rained on. I eventually found Lisa's cell # (she was going to watch our lessons and see the digs), and let her know. We'll have to get together another time, when I'm sure that I won't stop drooling over the enormous pasture that Daniel is in. I just have to keep telling myself that my guys are in huge pastures compared to anything else we saw bordering Fair Hill.
We ended up heading to three tack shops - one we had never been to before - and I got a few odds n ends. On the way to the new one, we passed a barn/used book store. On the way back, we stopped in and I had a complete nerdgasm. I have a serious boner for old books and that place was full of them. There was one about barnyard animals from the 1860s that I wanted for the horse section, but it turned out to be slightly too pricey. Maybe I'll get it another day. I was also seriously tempted by some etiquette books from the late 1800s, but again they were over my budget (of < $10). I still got a couple of things, and I definitely have to go back. There were only 5 stories and ~30,000 books to look through, after all. Too bad those books make my eyes itch and nose run, tho!
2 comments:
I'm sorry Peanut's still off! How frustrating and worrying. :( Hope the new vet can help figure something out.
That bookstore sounds awesome. I love OLD books too - horse books and especially cookbooks. "First, kill your hare..."
I was thinking about cookbooks when I got home. When I go back I have to check it out. My mother has a cookbook from the early 60s that cracks me up, so I can't imagine one from 100 yrs earlier.
Thanks re: Peanut. Anything left is still minor, but I still worry. :(
Post a Comment