Saturday, October 3, 2009

Under lock and key

I now have a locking tack trunk (actually, a huge tool box), and am keeping our halters and lead ropes inside.  The only stuff we're leaving out are our saddles, helmets, bridles, boots, cookie pouches, and cookies.

Our horses are the only barefoot horses there, so no one else would even think about using our horses' boots.  They probably think we're crazy for having them.

We both have Dr. Cook bitless bridles (Gene also has a regular bitted bridle), and we doubt anyone would know what to do with the bridles, let alone want to use those "dangerous contraptions."  They probably think we're crazy for having them.

I have the Phoenix, a very odd saddle that I can't see anyone trying to attempt to use (they probably think I'm crazy for having it), and Rick has his undyed dressage saddle with stirrup leathers so long that us regular folk can't ride in it without wrapping the leathers around the stirrups several times first.  Plus, it's very wide in a place full of narrow horses.

My helmet is not adjustable, so it will fit relatively few people, and Rick's is a size L adjustable.  Besides, borrowing helmets is icky.

The cookie pouches are fanny packs, and are so unfashionable.  :)

The cookies... well... they're in their own container with our names emblazoned on the top... and won't fit in the trunk.

In other news, I've officially decided that I have more fun going hiking with Peanut than actually riding him.  I think it has begun - I've been saying for years that I know one day I will quit riding.

Maybe I just need another lesson.  I'm waiting for Denise to get back to me....

No comments: