Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mona trim

Here's my trim of Mona, pics of left front.  Am I thrilled with this trim?  No.  I did what I could with a mare who would not stand still, not pick up her feet (picture me with double handfuls of feathers, pulling with all my might while leaning a shoulder into her), not hold them up, and whose feet were hard and overgrown.  Oh, and me dripping sweat on her as I trimmed, trimming black feet on a black horse over a black mat, and fading light.  Not to mention interruptions like tests to see when she'd foal.

Oh yeah, and I really am not a trimmer.

FUN!!!

But, still an improvement, I suppose.

Before and afters:








4 comments:

Funder said...

Definitely an improvement! And I hear ya on rock-hard feet and sweat dripping everywhere.

My trimmer would have taken out that overgrown bar. I still don't have a deep philosophical belief about bars, but I thought I'd mention it.

Sara said...

Dawn's started trimming bars, but very conservatively. Most of the time she leaves them alone. I have not studied them enough to do anything more than go, "yep, those are bars!"

I honestly didn't even SEE the bars when I trimmed. So much hard wall and me with just a wee rasp!

Here's what I think I should have done:

-better control of the flares

-better mustang roll

-thinned the wall out more, especially at the toe and flares

-possibly lost even more height. It was hard to judge with the flaring just how much over the sole I was.

Ah well. :)

Funder said...

It's like cutting lumber or hair - you can always come back and take more off. I never felt right til I'd looked at my pics and thought about it for a day or two.

I still don't think the bars should be scooped out to be totally passive, but I don't think it hurts a thing to get the overgrown stuff out.

I think, fwiw, I'd take more off the toe and get the quarter flares out of ground contact.

Sara said...

She had slight separation all around, plus the quarter flares. I keep thinking more and more that I should have relieved the wall pretty much completely. I didn't notice a strong toe callus to tell me she didn't care if she lost the wall, but there is so much separation that I don't think it would hurt much.

I like your suggestions, it's too bad I didn't think of them or have the light/time/strength. Dawn taught me to trim the width of the wall at the sole back until it's as wide as it should be without flaring or separation. Then roll that mutha.

Her backs were worse. I wish I could have at least done what I did to the fronts to the backs.