Monday, August 30, 2010

Trimmin'....

Well, I trimmed.

I first did a pre-trim on Saturday night where I just re-rolled everything without doing anything to the height.

Mon dieu.  His feet were as hard as Mona's, and his walls incredibly thick.  I'll never smile when a horse pro tells me that my horse's bits are so good and strong that it's making their job harder.

So, after a while, I got him rolled.

The next morning, Dawn arrived and we discussed his heels and quarter flares.  I had my game plan on how far to trim them down, and went to work.  She had told me that the toes were fine, to keep the little bit that wasn't rolled intact and not take the roll back to the laminae.

As I was trimming a front, I stopped, picked up the rasp, and realized I went to far.  I stopped, mentioned it to Dawn (who was under Gene), and she said that I just had to make all of the other front heels match.  Drat.

Dawn then looked over his feet, and said that she thought that his toes could stand to go back to his lamina after all.  So, she picked up her rasp and went to town.

Afterwards, she told me to get him out on the trails so that I could see what he thought of those front heels.  I wasn't able to on Saturday, but I did on Sunday.

No sir, he didn't like it.

He is perfectly sound on grass, in fact I rode him for a while in a field without incident.  But on the rocky/packed dirt trail?  He's not having it.  I know he'll be fine in a few days, and I'm glad he's sound on pasture, but drat.

Maybe I'll try not rolling him back to the sole, and I'll watch myself when going at those heels!!!!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

don't give up! You'll get the hang of what, when, how... I never thought I would, but I was doing pretty good pre-surgery, and I just started back again!