On Saturday we had Hoppy out. She brought GENE BABY PICTURES! Well, one of him at not even 2 months old and one of him at three. We can also see his dam, Mighty, in the foal picture. He was adorable and just as spotty. I will have to get them uploaded.
Her theory on Gene's vision issues is Lyme. As we told her symptom after symptom she just kept saying Lyme. We were planning to have the vet out to run a blood panel on him anyway for giggles, so why not toss that on top? I'll need to look into it more to see what the correlations are.
She was also very, very happy with Gene. She said that he's doing great, much better than ever. She got more flexion in his knees than ever before. So many people have told us that they have seen changes in Gene recently - ever since he went on oats and the Barn Bag. Some didn't even know that he had started on him. They just comment on how he is suddenly improved.
If I keep him on oats long term, I may have to look into how to get a calcium/magnesium supplement in him to properly offset the high phosphorous in the oats. I was hoping we could sneak by this winter short-term.
She does feel that (oh help me I can't remember the correct terms) he has calcification in his neck (joints and at connections of bone to tendon) that makes going into frame next to impossible for him. Of course, the first things that came to mind were lessons full of making him frame up.
Well, he's a trail horse now. And, as of getting the oats, a very happy trail horse. :)
3 comments:
Jill gives the horses at Tory Hill a magnesium supplement. I'll have to find out for you where she gets it.
It's probably Quiessence (sp?) which is a popular pelleted mg feed. I need a calcium supplement fortified with magnesium more than anything, and one that is in proper proportion with its magnesium.
Bother... more research.
A friend of mine has a horse with Lyme - she spent a long time figuring out the symptoms and getting it properly diagnosed, but now that she knows what to look for she just starts him on a month of antibiotics when he shows symptoms again. He lives out in a very tick-prone part of the country, so it's pretty inevitable, even with tick repellent. Anyway, if the vet agrees, I'd say just start him on antibiotics - I think the tests aren't always conclusive.
:colbert: Why are you not sharing Gene baby pics??
Post a Comment