Saturday, December 25, 2010

More grey hairs

Last weekend I noticed Peanut coughing.  He tends to cough, and I even had him scoped during his pre-purchase exam in '04 to try to find the cause.  Nothing.  A second vet looked at him a few years later.  Nothing.  All she could come up with was allergies.

The cough comes, the cough goes.  Sometimes a year will go by without it, sometimes it will show up several times a year.  It mostly arrives in fall, but it has come in spring and, well, last weekend.

I've gotten to the point where I ignore it.  If there are no secondary symptoms then I just go on with life, knowing that in a couple of weeks it will go away.  He tends to have a roaring, almost a mucousy, gurgly sound, quickly followed by a cough.  There is no nasal discharge, and no temperature.  He has even had this cough during lessons, and I've been told to ignore it.

So, last Saturday and Sunday I noticed it was back.  Odd... pretty late in the year.  I ignored it.  It was pretty violent, but sporadic.  To me, riding is out of the question as I don't want him to deal with me perched up there when he's not feeling his best.

On Tuesday, I turned on my phone after work to find a message from John.  He was concerned because the girl feeding them was getting very worried about his cough.  I called back and explained his history, then asked that they let me know if anything develops other than the cough.

All week I've been wondering, wishing that I didn't go to and come home from work in the dark.  Towards the end of the week, I started to worry that I didn't take his temperature and, with my luck, it really was something that I was ignoring.

Today we made it out to the barn.  I hiked out with Peanut into Fair Hill, even doing a little bit of jogging, and nothing.  Not one cough.  Well... ok.  This is the shortest it's ever lasted, but I am very relieved.  Again, both horses seemed to be in good spirits and full of energy.

Stupid horses.  Stupid horses making me go grey.

No comments: