Saturday, June 4, 2011

Artifacts of horses past

Rick's grandfather was a farmer in Western Michigan, and when younger used draft horses to work the farm. He was glad to get a tractor (and will talk about how much he hated working with horses when given a chance), but a room in the barn still holds items used with the horses.  They most likely haven't been disturbed or even touched in decades upon decades.

Their harnesses, bits, halters, and an intact bridle with snaffle bit are still hanging there. Horse hair from a long-gone equine is still present on one of the harnesses.  I thought they might be of interest.

I'm tempted to take these artifacts and restore them, but honestly I don't know where I'd put them or even how to begin with them. So, instead they moulder away.  I feel like it's a shame and a waste, but what to do?

Click for huge.












1 comment:

Anne said...

The stories they could tell. I love stuff like this.