I am wildly unhappy at work lately, and it's finding ways to make the rest of my life a miserable mess. The heat doesn't help, which has kept me from really spending time with the Nutters. I have taken him on a few walks, loved on him in his field, but no more great treks out into the unknown.
Last night, I couldn't stay at home or else I would have ended up screaming. Even though it was baking out, we ventured to the barn to hang with Anne-Marie (who works it Wed nights) and then head up to the house for a visit. We got there, stepped out, and marvelled at how cool it was.
Ok, maybe not cool... but it didn't melt your face off and there was sometimes a nice breeze.
So, we tacked up and headed out. By the time we got on the trail, commented about the fading light, and I looked at my watch, it was already past 8pm. Racing the light, we had a short but nice ride.
T'was still buggy, but not quite as bad as it had been.
At times, when doing a little speed work, Peanut would suddenly stop and Mona would fly by. I kept imagining her coming up behind him, saying, "outta the way, Blondie!" and him obliging before being run over.
:)
The horse mentioned in the earlier post, who ran in the Preakness and they were looking to give away (never a good idea in this economy, you at least have to price them above meat price), is going to be taken by CANTER and live at a foster home. Yay. :)
2 comments:
Well that is good news indeed about the other horse--and yeah, it seems to get better when the sun starts to go down these last few days. I don't like either extreme, myself. I can't imagine how most animals feel when it gets hot, but judging by the way The Cat has been flattening out on the bathroom tile floor, I'm guessing they don't enjoy the heat, either.
It would be nice if the cooler evening trend lasted, but I know it's just going to get worse. Weird thing is, it's always cooler at the barn. I guess PA is in the frigid north and you don't get the sweltering heat we do down in DE. ;)
As for the horses, they are miserable. They were domesticated from the steppes in Asia and are naturally happier in the 50s and 60s. This weather has them spending the entire afternoon in the shade in their run in sheds, necks held out straight in front of them, usually head to tail so that everyone can use someone else's tail to swish flies from their face.
When it's really bad, they just stand out there and sweat. You go to get them later and see the sweat dried on their fur. They have no pep. Once fall comes, and the temps drop, they will be racing around the fields with what looks like joy.
I feel really guilty (me? guilty?) about using them in temps like this. I hate the feeling myself and don't like making them any more uncomfortable than they need to be.
Post a Comment