Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Niagara Falls! Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch....

The continuing saga of the Epic Adventure.  Niagara Falls!

I've never been there before, and it was, give or take, halfway-ish between Maine and our destination in Michigan.  So, why not?  Therefore, we stayed at a lovely B&B overlooking the gorge on the Canadian side.  I had never been to Canada, and I heard that it was the best place to see everything (which soon became apparent), and... why not.  We were there for two nights.

We did the tourist package where we got to see a number of attractions up and down the gorge.

There will be a lot of touristy pics of water, naturally, and... ummm... butterflies.  Clicky for bigger (especially the flutterbyes).

Canadian (aka horseshoe) falls!


In my mind, the ever-present mist in the middle of the Canadian Falls was really a localized Maine weather phenomenon.


Double rainbow!

The view from our lunch table on our full day at the falls.  It may have been pricey, but you couldn't beat the vista through the windows.



From the Maid of the Mist.  Once inside the horseshoe, the mist would have drenched my camera.
 The American Falls!  I had no idea that it was two separate waterfalls before I went.  And, since this one actually faces Canada while it plummets off the edge of America, I see why this was the side to be on.



The Bridal Veil
The view from the Maid of the Mist
 
The American Falls through the mist of the Canadian Falls
Down the river from the falls, the water passes through Class 6 rapids.  As I learned, Class 5 is the most dangerous, yet still conquerable, rapids.  Class 6 is considered too dangerous to attempt.  So, um, more water?

After taking an elevator down through the rock into the gorge, this walkway travels along the river's edge.





Downstream, the water passes through the Whirlpool.  This 90 degree bend in the river causes the water to swirl either way, depending on the time of day.


This fantabulous contraption takes visitors across and back over the whirlpool.  Since the Canada/US border travels down the river, we briefly crossed into NY while in the center of the whirlpool.

Water coming from the falls, after the rapids

America jutting out, making the bend
The whirlpool

Water going bye-bye

On two days, including a stop made the morning we left for Michigan, we visited the Botanical Gardens.

They have a butterfly conservatory that contained, well, butterflies.  It also contained people who insisted on ignoring the "Do Not Touch The Butterflies" signs, which peeved me to no end.









This is not a butterfly how did this get here I'm not good with computers


There was an outside to the gardens too.  I didn't get to explore much of it due to time, although I did take a carriage ride through it because I was missing my pony.  :(



 
Canadian bee!
 
The carriage was pulled by Regent, the shire.  He was very sweet and let me pet his nose.

After that, it was on to Michigan.

3 comments:

Kate P said...

How cool are the falls? Your pictures turned out great. You gotta get a rainbow somewhere.

Sara said...

I kept thinking that the place is a theme part built around a river. It was... surreal in that respect.

It was cool in the literal sense, too. It was 90 degrees when we were there. Perfectly horrid, but the temperature dropped along with the water as you got near the falls. :)

Kate P said...

Hmm, it had not occurred to me that way, but then again, I was there in the '80s as a little kid (who had little exposure to theme parks and still hasn't had tremendously much!). It is definitely a place of energy.