Today is Peanut's 10th birthday, I have the day off, and it is raining. I will try to see him after Rick gets off from work when it shouldn't be as bad. Gene will be 23 on the 24th; the boys are getting old. When I got Peanut as a 4 y/old, he didn't have dents behind his eyes. Now, he does. His incisors are no longer straight up and down. My baby is getting OLD!
He's fat too. I really need to figure out the saddle issue (why is it such a problem?!?! No one else seems to have these issues!) and get miles on him. Denise even wants to see the Imus on him, to see if the tree is best for him and we just have to work with my riding style and/or padding to get me out of the ditch that is the back of the seat.
I'm very frustrated.
I have pictures of the new padding system on the Fhoenix, but I really haven't had time to take it for a real spin. We rode on Sunday, but both horses were very up. I don't know if Peanut was reacting to the saddle or life in general since Gene was also out of sorts. I even had to lead Peanut across the road and mount up on trail. I never had to do that, but each time we went to cross he would balk, hop sideways, spin, and head back up to the barn. I couldn't stop it and didn't want to fight as we were on a steep hill with questionable footing and pavement at the top and bottom. Please let it be known, however, that I stayed calm. I was just unsure of how to fix it. I eventually ending up dismounting and I led Peanut across and back a couple of times since I thought that he would realize it was ok and we could go, but the goats were out in full Peanut-eating mode (aka, minding their own business). Leading him back to the barn at one point he completely lost it, went into a blind panic, and we battled it out in the middle of the road with him at the end of the reins. I hadn't seen him that way since our last encounter with deadly, horse-eating cows.
I wasn't going to let him win, but at the same time he was doing it out of true (stupid) fear and not just to be difficult, so I decided to walk in, then mount up. Safer for all involved.
The rest of the ride was fine, although Peanut didn't calm down.
I also dismounted at the ruin before the end of the trail to walk him out. If he lost his shit on the road but with me on his back it could be dangerous - especially as most of the road is a bridge - so I led him out. Of course, he was as cool as could be, but I'd rather everyone be safe.
Sigh.
I'm thinking of emailing Peanut's first owner for an update on his 10th birthday, but I have a feeling that she doesn't agree with my methods of horse keeping. I know she does not like the fact that he isn't blanketed, but Peanut has yet to complain himself on that front.
1 comment:
Happy belated Birthday Peanut!!!!! What a lucky horse you are to have the people you have!!!
Post a Comment