Thursday, May 27, 2010

King Palomino reclaims his throne

Some horses have been moved around, leaving Peanut in the large field with Gene, the ancient TWH, and the almost 4 year old QH.  Peanut is now master of his domain.

He's king of his castle.

He is herd leader.  Napoleon has risen, and he's as nasty as ever.

I have gotten used to having my omega horse and my having to chase the other horses away from us.  Now my alpha chases the horses once more, amid a fury of feet and teeth.

Peanut... please behave before you get yourself in trouble (or before they plop the dominant arab back in his field to put him in line, which would actually be nice right about now.)

On the saddle front:

I've been thinking of something that Rick reminded me of:

When I called the dealer to purchase my Fhoenix (even though Leeandra sold it to me, I had to officially buy it from someone else), we had a very, very long chat.  At one point, she told me a story about one of their horses.  This horse used to ride western, and had no issues at all.  A Fhoenix was purchased for the horse, and was used exclusively for some time.  Later, when they decided that they wanted to put some beginner riders on the horse, they thought to tack it up Western as it's easier for a newbie.  They got out the horse's old saddle... and he threw a fit.  He bucked, which was completely out of character for him.  He would simply no longer abide a treed saddle in any form and went back to being a perfect horse when they used the Fhoenix instead.

She was illustrating her point that sometimes when you start a horse in a Fhoenix, then treed saddles will no longer be acceptable in that horse's eyes.

I figured it was a sales pitch (but I was buying the saddle, so what was the point?), but now I wonder....

No comments: