Friday, May 21, 2010

IT'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

I picked up my Imus saddle from the shop where it was consigned yesterday. I had a very long talk with the saleslady there (who really is more than that - she knows us on sight and is the one other than the owner who works there). I told her everything about that saddle, the Fhoenix, Peanut, and what's going on. She encouraged me to take the saddle.

The saddle had gotten a lot of attention there. It had been out only once, but when gaited horse folk would show up they would stop at that saddle and start talking amongst themselves. Once, a woman came in because she heard that they had a 4-Beat saddle. When asked if she was interested in buying it, she said no, she had just read about it and really wanted to see one in person.

She (the saleslady ++) said that she really liked the saddle. That the bars are like the McClellan calvalry saddles, and horses really like those but it is really rare to find anything like that these days. They are also fabulous for wide horses. She went on to say that most trainers who put out lines of tack put out low-quality, overpriced stuff that can do more harm than good, but Imus really knows what she's doing and designed one hell of a saddle. She kept singing the praises of my own saddle to me - I think it really impressed her.

I asked if she had ever heard of Hoppy Stearns. Yes, of course she had. Well, when I had bought this saddle Hoppy said that it was perfect for my horse, but then I was later told that it wasn't perfect for me and I didn't feel right in it.

Bringing Hoppy's name into it really changed things. That's when she said that if Hoppy said it was perfect for him, then it must be great - especially considering what Hoppy (the close contact, hunting queen) uses and that she probably looked at the saddle like it came from another planet. Hoppy really is a well-respected celebrity in the horse world around here, it seems.

I mentioned that I have a new instructor now, and that she is really getting through to me like no other and I am learning a ton in my lessons. Well, she said, then you may have no problem with this saddle now that you ride differently.

I sat in the saddle for a while, in front of a set of mirrors where they had the buck (never look at your thighs while in a saddle - oi), and sat there (shortening the stirrups again and again as I now ride with them shorter) and contemplated while another, very British customer came in and looked around and chatted. After he left, she came back to me and told me that I looked very comfortable in it. In reality, I was trying to keep my balance without falling into the ditch at the back of the saddle and going all chair-seat.

So... I took the saddle.

It came down to the fact that I adore the Fhoenix and was trying to make it work for Peanut, but in the Imus I would have to make it work for me. I would rather be the one at the disadvantage. I was told to keep the Fhoenix, as I could whip it out every now and then since I like it so much.

I tried it out as well. When I got the saddle out, Peanut gave it a good sniff, then tried to avoid being saddled. :(

It looked a hell of a lot steeper on Peanut than it did on the buck. Also, the cinch was far, far too small. I couldn't do up the rigging as I should on one side, but it's not the same cinch that I used for it. Now that I think about it, I think I used Gene's old cinch which was a trifle larger. I'll have to find it. My horse is such a fatty.

I got on, and Peanut stood well. I then rolled up a towel and stuck it under my butt to try to lessen the seat ditch, but I still felt like I was fighting gravity. Peanut walked out well, but some of our seat communication was gone as I expected. I soon figured out how to give a non-rein stop, but it's not like I was doing in the Fhoenix.

At one point, Peanut spooked at the Terror Woods in general, and we skittered sideways. I had no issues whatsoever and felt very secure.

I really stared a good bit at the front of the saddle on Peanut, and thought that it was sitting high. I looked at the official videos for the saddle when I got home and realized that yes, I was right. I probably should have the wide tree. National Bridle will take used saddles and put them towards the purchase price of a new one, so that may very well be where I'm headed once Denise sees everything. Denise has encouraged me to still ride in it until I see her, so I think I'll keep trying it out. Hopefully this is why my weight is also falling heavily at the back of the saddle.

My stomach was in knots all day yesterday, wondering if I did the right thing. But, if Hoppy said it was perfect......

I really do think that Peanut's withers have gotten bigger since I went treeless (the muscles on either side have puffed up).  If he didn't need a wide version before....

Stupid horses. Stupid saddles.

I apologized profusely and said that I felt bad about taking my saddle back. Why, I was asked. We are the ones who should be sorry that we couldn't sell it for you!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

ah, our ponies... holes in the pasture that we pour money into :-)

restoration42 said...

I can sure emphasize with you on your saddle agonies. My horses all have unique (wierd) backs. Gotta say, I have been consistently happy with my Wintec CAIR Pro Dressage and will stick with the CAIR system when I get another saddle. Why? Because they have a changeable gullet system you can change as your horse changes and the CAIR is sort of "squooshable" and conforms nicely to different backs. Got my eye on the Wintec CAIR endurance saddle next. Good luck in your quest.

Sara said...

We had a Wintec 500 (550? Can't remember) dressage CAIR for Gene, and it was terrible. The panels were rock hard, not squishy at all, and the gullets may have been changeable but the way the panels were built at the gullet dug right into his withers and atrophied them. The narrow spine channel at the back also pinched his spine when he tried to bend. He hated being saddled back then, and if he wasn't tied when he saw that saddle he would literally trot off and hide behind something, peeking around it back at the offending saddle.

When we got rid of it, he became a much happier horse. In the first ride with his new saddle his wither muscles actually moved - they couldn't in the Wintec no matter what gullet we used.

We actually felt bad for the horse belonging to the person who bought it from us, but maybe they would have better success.

We've been watching saddles, and the CAIR seems softer now and they seem to be redesigning their saddles to address some of the issues we had, but sorry, no more Wintecs for us. :(