Monday, July 18, 2011

Awesome horse

Peanut is the best horse in the world, and all those who say otherwise are just wrong.

And everyone should indeed say that about their own horse.

Peanut continues to impress me.  How many times can I say what a good trail horse he has become?  He still has his moments of course, but I guess every horse does that's not dead in the head.  From recent rides:

Walking down the side of the trail, Peanut will whack me into every overhanging branch to be found.  When we run out of branches, he switches to the other side of the trail where I can be whacked all over again.  Last night, those shenanigans got him turned to go up a steep hill that I otherwise would have skipped.

He sometimes just... checks out?  He'll go down a trail, knocking me into everything, stumbling, acting like he's drunk as he weaves erratically.  I have to stop him, tell him to pay attention, and then we start out slower and he's fine.

I've modified a riding fly mask on my arch enemy sewing machine and it seems to fit him well enough.  I took a warmblood sized one and ended up taking in just about every seam that wasn't part of the eye seaming, shortened the ears, and completely redid the fastening velcro.  In defiance, my sewing machine broke its needle off in one of the seams at the bottom of the ear, but that was the last seam and it was mostly done by then so I called it a day.

2 comments:

Funder said...

Hahha, what a fun horse. I love how far you've come!

Sara said...

Thank you! I thrill every time a horse has a problem on the trail and good ol' trusty Peanut has to step in and show how it's done. What a change!!!!