Friday, July 8, 2011

CANTER horse update

The horse that ran the Preakness is not doing well.  The vet is seeing him today to really find out the extent of his injuries, but it just gets me mad about horse racing in general.  Again.  So many horses that are used too hard too young and end up crippled or worse.  They give their all and then some, and many are rewarded with a trip to the slaughter house.

This is the horse in his prime and pre-pin firing.  It's sad to talk about a 6 year old horse being past his prime when he's only just an adult, but that's racing.



Fingers are crossed for his vet exam.

I have discovered, through CANTER, that there is a brighter side to racing.  I never actually saw a trainer during my time with ReRun.  Now, I have seen the ones who love their horses, desperately want to keep them sound, and will settle for nothing but the best home for them.  Good to know.

2 comments:

Kate P said...

I do hope his vet exam goes O.K. Poor guy.

Sara said...

It turns out that he did not have a joint infection, but it looks like a bomb went off in one of his ankles. It's a mess and trying to fuse, but is very painful in the meantime. They may have a vet willing to do the surgery at a discount with people who were previously part of this horse's life donating money for his rehab.