Wednesday, May 7, 2014

New Instructor; The Dutch Samurai Strikes Back; Blackbird

I have started taking lessons from another boarder.  The goal?  Deal with my confidence issues on trail, once and for all.  She's incredibly supportive, doesn't just send me in circles around the ring, and takes me out of my comfort zone big time.  She is also riding Peanut out into the park, with me on foot, so I can watch her handle him and see her work him past his issues.  Watching from the ground is nerve-wracking, as I didn't realize how big and dramatic his antics actually were.  Shit... I ride that!

She never rode treeless before, and after a 2-part meltdown from the Nutters in a place he is not comfortable with, she complimented me for riding in it because it is a demanding saddle.  Definitely not an easy ride.

Anyway, I am very optimistic about this.  :)  It's about time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Saturday, Richard attended a Samurai sword seminar at his dojo.  Him and a bunch of folk swinging swords, learning techniques, and slicing tatami for 6 hours.  I was the official photographer and just tried to not get whacked.

In the back is one of the two Sensei from that day

You could tell who was from his dojo and who was from elsewhere by the uniforms.  I believe everyone wearing hakama (the big black pants) were from this dojo.

Slicing tatami mats with a razor-sharp sword is a traditional practice that simulates beheading someone.  It's not as easy as it looks (they pulled me out from behind the camera and put the sword into my shaking hands for a few swipes), but Richard was declared an amazing natural.  Many a tatami mat had a bad day at his hands.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pencil sketch is done on the blackbird.  I've been asked to be in a pin-up show planned for late next year, but I declined.  I think that chapter is closed, although a misunderstanding made him think I was in.  No.  My girls are retired.  The thought crossed my mind to bring them back for one last hurrah, to do something I felt like I could be proud of and put a satisfying ending on this chapter, but then I realized that no matter what it wouldn't be worth the framing to me.



2 comments:

Kate P said...

Fantastic, both the lessons and the drawings! Sword-wielding and pencil-wielding skills are not easy.

Sara said...

Thank you!

For the newbies, the whole time they were cutting tatami they had to keep saying, "it's a sword, not a baseball bat!"