On Monday I have a saddle fitter coming out to look at the Nuts and his saddle. While he is now 100% cooperative with saddling - which really is a huge thing - the uneven sweat marks still freak me out. And as I get more comfortable on trail from my lessons I will be riding for longer periods of time, so he should be as comfortable as possible.
The fitter who is coming is, among other things, a Specialized Saddles rep. All your fault, Funder, I've been stalking your gear and found her from their website. So, she will first look at the current saddle, and then if she is as unhappy with the bridging as I am then we might try out some Specializeds. Gene will also get his saddle looked as as well.
My lessons are going swimmingly. So far my teacher has ridden Peanut out twice, and he did beautifully the last time. So, today I mounted up and rode out and we did great! She is giving me little tips and tricks that really make a difference in the saddle and I couldn't believe the difference. I think we were both giddy with how well it's going. Peanut's level of giddiness is to be determined, but at one point I decided to walk past a definite turn to home with my aids completely released. I was wondering if he would still shoot down it given complete liberty. That darned horse instead walked right past the turn to home without even the tiniest muscle twitch in its direction. I was beyond amazed. My baby!
Tomorrow is his 14th birthday, so there will be much spoiling.
Progress on the blackbird. First, the white pass, then the start of the black. Instead of going completely from left to right on the black, I wanted to see the bird first before I decided on the shading on the grass. I just don't want to go too dark on the grass and lose the illusion of 3D. So, I am carefully... very carefully... working on the bird. When done, I'll probably give it a coat of sealant and go back to finish out the grass.
![]() |
| Looks pretty lousy and flat at this point. |
![]() |
| Getting better. :) |


2 comments:
Congrats on your self-restraint! One of my Facebook friends has two new kittens and I've got kitten fever pretty bad - but this is a two-cat sized apartment. We are At Capacity.
I'm still very happy with my Specialized. Not a particularly high quality saddle (the leather quality isn't exquisite, etc) but very functional.
Happy birthday, Nutter :)
I have a co-worker that has a feral having kittens in her yard every year. She has been able to get the kittens fixed but not the Mom. Of course, every spring I get the question......
I really don't care about the leather quality. I have Italian calf leather in my current one, but eh. I just care about comfort. And if it serves you two for your epic rides, it could possibly serve us in our putterings. :)
Post a Comment