I was so happy with the way that Mocha's painting turned out that I wanted to jump into another one. This one is purely for fun, based on a night heron that I photographed at Bombay Hook.
This is still in progress, but just posting where it is at the moment.
If I had my druthers, the background would have been plain. Maybe black. With just one stick and the bird. However, the beak has a black tip, so I couldn't do that. Instead, it has a background of my own creation. The original bird was on a stick, yes, that came out of water choked with duckweed, yes, but that's about it.
 |
| Pencil sketch. You can see where I played with the composition by adding, subtracting, changing branches. |
 |
| Duckweed in. Now... what to do with the rest? Something dark to show it's in a forest, yet at the same time light around the tip of that beak..... |
 |
| Aha. So, that's what came out of the paintbrush. |
 |
| Branches in, but unhappy with several parts. |
 |
| Added duckweed where the branches meet the water and fiddled with the parts of the branches that bugged me. |
 |
| More branch fiddlin'. I think it looks more realistic now and time to move on to the bird. |
2 comments:
Very cool to see your process. I'm amazed at how finished you get certain parts before moving on. And lovely work too! You should take commissions!
Thank you!
And I've taken commissions before. They don't agree with me. So, for a while at least, I'm just having fun. :)
Post a Comment